Monday, December 19

More Legion Goodness


I think I'm going to be doing more and more of these “catch-all” comics entries....

Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes #1 and #2 of 6 (IDW, Oct-Nov 2011)

Two of my favorite all-time franchises together for the first time! How could I not buy into this? Unfortunately, as good as Chris Roberson is in nailing the characters from both worlds, as of the end of issue #2 he hasn't yet brought them together! I mean, that's what we all want to see, right?

Here's Legion Abstract's review for #1. I'm a bit disappointed that I received Gabriel Rodriguez's alternate cover from my mail order source rather than Phil Jimenez's main cover. So I'm departing from my usual practice and posting what I wish I'd gotten rather than what I did get.

Here's his review for #2. At least this second issue does bring the two sets of characters into close proximity to one another.

Really, there's not a whole lot I can add to what's in those review/commentaries. I think it's going to end up being an enjoyable story that has little relevance for the main Legion continuity (whatever that is!).

Legion: Secret Origin #1 and #2 of 6 (Dec 2011-Jan 2012)

Well, it's another retelling of the origin of the Legion. We all know the story, right? How three 31st-century youths travelling to Earth on a starliner thwart a plot to assassinate wealthy industrialist R. J. Brande, who sees the potential that exists in their unique (sort of) abilities to create a force for good in the universe. They take as their inspiration/model that of Superboy a thousand years in the past, during the earlier "Age of Heroes."  Of course, we're going to find out that there is more to it than that. Behind the scenes political machinations by a mysterious triumvirate who have a mysterious relationship to Brande ….

Legion Abstract has this to say about #1, “From the Wreckage,” and this to say about #2, “Target.”

It's Levitz. It's Legion. It's good. 'Nuff said. Well, not quite. I do have some nit-picks. I wish they'd left the original Legionnaires' costumes as they originally were – particularly Lightning Lad's. It was just so goofy. What was that poofy belt, anyway?  Sure, this one's sleeker, but.... And Saturn Girl's – bring back the skirt! I hope that by the end of this series we'll have a definite answer as to how (if?) Superboy/man and Supergirl fit into the newest Legion continuity. That is probably the single biggest question that can, in my opinion, make or break a version of the Legion. Supposedly there is some kind of connection, per comments by Grant Morrison (and allegedly to be seen early in the new Action Comics). What's going to be Levitz's spin on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment