Tuesday, August 14

Joe Kubert, R.I.P.

I don't make a practice of blogging obituary notices, but in this case I feel something of a connection.  I met Mr. Kubert just a couple of months ago, as chronicled in my entry on Comicpalooza 2012, from which the following is repeated:

"Finally, there was an area partitioned off into a number of theatres, workshops, classrooms, and panel/discussion areas. One of the latter was my next destination, where in the 11 am hour Joe Kubert gave a retrospective of his seventy years in the industry, fielded questions from the audience, and drew a wonderful drawing of Nite Owl from The Watchmen that was to be auctioned off to benefit the Ronald McDonald House charity. (I apparently did not win it since I've heard nothing several days later. Congratulations to whomever did!) 
"This was [one of the high] point[s] of my day, just listening to one of the founders of the comic book medium who has emerged as probably the single most influential artist in the history of narrative illustration through his Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art. It's sad that just recently we have lost several of that first, “founders” generation – Jerry Robinson and Sheldon Moldoff coming immediately to mind. 
Joe Kubert signing
 I value the opportunity I had not just to hear him speak but, later in the day, to get the first volume of Tarzan: The Joe Kubert Years signed and to thank him for, with the first DC issue of Tarzan collected in that book, turning me on to the wonderful writings of Edgar Rice Burroughs."

To those names I cited then as recent losses from among the founders of modern comic books, we must unfortunately add Joe Kubert's as well.  The news started hitting the comics blogosphere sometime Sunday, and obituaries, notices, and homages have poured forth for the past two days -- many appearing on my blogroll at right.  With the re-presentation of my own little video from Comicpalooza, which fortuitously captured what I consider to be the central point of Mr. Kubert's talk, I add what little I can to those.  Through his deep influence on generations of fans as well as creators, he will be missed.  To his friends and family I offer my deepest condolences.


No comments:

Post a Comment